January 03, 2015

Book Review: My Not-So-Still Life

My Not-So-Still LifeTitle: My Not-So-Still Life.
Author: Liz Gallagher.
Series: No.
Pages: 192.
Publisher: Wendy Lamb Books.
Published Date: 5/10/11.
Links:
Book Depository
Goodread

"Vanessa is wise beyond her years. She's never really fit in at school, where all the kids act and dress the same. She's an artist who expresses her talent in the wacky colors she dyes her hair, her makeup and clothes. She's working on her biggest art project, and counting the days until she's grown up and can really start living. That adult world seems closer when Vanessa gets her dream job at the art supply store, Palette, where she worships the couple who runs it, Oscar and Maye. And she's drawn to a mysterious guy named James, who leads her into new, sometimes risky situations. Is she ready for this world, or not?"

Review:

My Not-So-Still Life is the story of an average teenager, who is ready to grow up, do important things, and who feels stuck in high school. Vanessa wants to be different, unique and wants to explore the person she really is. Which in her case, is dying her hair crazy bright colors, wearing bold makeup and dressing up like no one around her does.

Vanessa finds high school completely useless, and finally wants to go out in the world and do something that has purpose; for her that's art! Its seems like her dream comes true when she scores a job at her favorite craft store. Not only are her bosses really cool, but Vanessa doesn't mind the cute older guy that seems to spend a lot of time there.

What could be better than working at your favorite store? With cool people? And getting out of the house more often? Nothing!

But things quickly turn sour when Vanessa gets herself in a tough situation with the cute older guy from the store, and she finds herself taking half naked photos for his calender.
When things get a bit too hot and heavy, Vanessa escapes the entire situation. Her mom forces her to quit work, and instead to stay focused on school. Vanessa quickly learns that being yourself and sticking out, doesn't mean dying your hair crazy colors, and wearing extremely bold makeup. But being unique can be done in settle ways too.

My Not-So-Still Life was a light read. Its a book you can take outside or to the beach and read it in an afternoon. With that, I didn't invest myself too much into it. The book is extremely short, and there wasn't much time for me to connect with the main character. I understood why she felt so stuck, because when I was in high school taking P.E. and art classes the whole to pass time, I felt the same way. I was ready for college and continuing on with calculus, accounting and economics classes.

Overall I found the story to be enjoyable. I wasn't completely invested, but that's okay because I feel like that wasn't required for this book. I enjoyed it while it lasted.







Link Your Review:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!