August 14, 2014

Book Review: Kill the Music

Kill the MusicTitle: Kill the Music.
Author: Nansi Kunze.
Series: No.
Pages: 288.
Source: For Review.
Publisher: Random House Australia.
Published Date: 7/1/13.
Links:
Book Depository
Goodreads

Summary:

"If everyone loves the world's hottest band, who's trying to destroy them? Most people would love to be Lorna Powell, travelling the globe with her brother and his mega-famous band. Then again, most people don't realise just how annoying four handsome rock stars can be. A new home and a new school seem like the start of a normal life - until Lorna overhears a chilling plot to silence the band forever. Soon Lorna is drawn into a frantic attempt to identify the killer before they strike. But it'’s not easy to track suspects around the world when she’s got homework to do and secrets to protect. And when gorgeous lead singer Marius starts to act strangely, Lorna wonders if she’s had the wrong idea all along . . ."

My Thoughts:

Before I get started, I just want to say that this review is something I've been avoiding for the last two weeks or so. It wasn't like I was too busy, or wasn't in the mood, but I genuinely didn't want to sit down and write this review.

Why? Well I thought this book was okay. I didn't hate it, but for me, there just weren't any sparks. I don't know if it was the story itself, or if it was just me being too busy and not being involved enough in the story.

Not everyone likes, every book, I understand that. But I'm a book blogger, I have to tell you guys what I honestly think, right?

Okay here it goes (short and sweet)...

Kill the Music is about a girl named Lorna, who is the little sister to one of the members of the NEWEST and HOTTEST boy bands out there. While girls only dream about being so close to the boys, Lorna can't get away or have any time herself.

She's tired of following them to all their recordings, shoots and other business meetings. Lorna doesn't want to live a completely normal life, but she does want to attend a normal school with other normal teenagers. 

Things are a bit bumpy and rough on her first few days of school, but it's nothing Lorna can't handle. But that's not what she's struggling with, it's the fact that someone plans to murder her brother and the rest of the band. She isn't sure who it is, but she heard the conversation the person had on the phone, while hiding.

She isn't sure what to do, and who to trust anymore, so Lorna decides to head to the police, where her REAL adventure takes off. Lorna is following people, tracking them down, and on her way to becoming a spy..all to save her brothers.

So that's basically what the story is about. It sounds okay, especially if you aren't looking for anything too dark or serious. But I just couldn't connect with this story, for a few reasons...

1. The school. Okay, I understand that you want to do something "normal", and going back to school seems like a good way to go. But it just seemed off to me. She made a friend extremely quickly, and was acting too shy and intimidated for someone who is used to this kind attention.

2. Lorna gossips! When a few kids at school ask her if the rumors about Marius are true or not, she tells them that she doesn't know and if she did she wouldn't be able to say anything! But then Lorna turns around to her new "friend" and tells her everything that "happened". She had no idea if this true or not, and told those kids from earlier that she can't say anything, but then turns around and talks about it anyways.

3. No suspense. Like I said earlier, I think this was more on me, than the book itself. I was VERY busy around the time I was reading and I don't think I was able to get fully invested in it.

Even though there are these three things that bothered me, I actually liked the whole concept. I liked that Lorna was the little sister of a band member, and not some crazed fan. I liked seeing the family aspect that this band had, and how they all take care of each other. I even liked the whole "murdering" idea!

But in the end this book just didn't work out for me, which is very disappointing.

Have you read Kill the Music? What did you think about it?


2 comments:

  1. That's too bad that it disappointed you, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't love this book. Hope your next read will be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get a little upset when I didn't like a book, especially when my friends really like it. I don't know, maybe because I didn't get as much as they did out of the story. But after three years of blogging, reading and reviewing, I've learned that not everyone can or will enjoy every book. Thanks for the awesome comments.

      Lisa

      Delete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!