August 10, 2014

Author Interview: Ebony Easter

The Callous Catcher (The Gifted, #1)

The Callous Catcher, by Ebony Easter

"Being a teenage girl is already hard enough. But when Mariam's little sister is murdered on the street in broad daylight, her life takes a spin for the worst. Turns out her sister had been born with a very important ability: the power to create anything that comes to mind right in the palm of her hand. In her sister's dying breath, the gift is handed over to Mariam.

But it's not all fun and games. Mariam finds herself the target of a serial killer because of who she is and what she can do. And he'll stop at nothing to catch her. There's not much time. With the help of a secret agent and her own personal trainer, Mariam must learn to master her gift before the killer destroys her and everything she loves. In the end, she'll realize it will only come down to who lives and who dies."

Can you tell us a little about yourself and your book?

My name is Ebony Easter. I was born and raised in Sacramento, California with three brothers and a cat (which is also a boy). I love watching movies, doing my nails, sleeping, and once in a while writing a story about a serial killer or supernatural abilities. My two favorite things in the world are music and books, and my two least favorite things in the world is exercising and presentations.

The Callous Catcher is about a character named Mariam Wilson who is the complete opposite of me. She’s sassy, strong, and brave. She finds out that she has the unique power to create anything that comes to mind right in the palm of her hand. She becomes one of the most powerful people in the world. And the most in danger. Now a serial killer is after her because of what she can do and if Mariam can’t learn how to use her power perfectly, she won’t be the most powerful person for long. It’s fantasy with crime and suspense and some comedy to balance it all out and not make the story too serious.

2. What inspired you to become a writer, and to write this story?

I grew up in a very boring neighborhood with a very normal family. I’ve always wanted to wake up and find myself on an alien spaceship or my parents had turned into zombies or there’s a beastly monster downstairs in the kitchen eating my donuts and beef jerky. I’d sit in class and wonder which student could read minds, or teleport, or move objects without touching them. I think all of that wondering and dreaming got to my head and I wrote about it. Wrote about a very normal girl waking up not being normal anymore. I even stole the character in the book from an actual student at school. I have always been obsessed with the thought of people having supernatural gifts. I think it’s so cool and the best part is, you can make up your own supernatural gift and the reader won’t blink their eyes because it’s a book!

3. What was one bump in the road that you faced while writing The Callous Catcher? How did you overcome it?

A big bump in the road when writing the Callous Catcher was how on earth am I going to explain her gift? It’s so broad and big. How can I explain it well enough that readers will see it in their head the way their supposed to? It bothered me so much that every time I came about a scene where she used her gift, I skipped over it. I was afraid I would explain it more confusing than understanding. But I had to remember that I’m the writer and I just need to be descriptive and show feeling rather than just flat out saying, “And she made a cake.”

4. You do go anywhere in the world, where would you go?

If I could go anywhere in the world it would have to be Greece. And if you’re wondering why, then you haven’t seen the pictures. It would be the best place to relax and write and drink iced tea with a slice of chocolate cake.

5. Do you have any other books in the works? If so, what could we be expecting?

I have lots of books in the works. At the moment I’m finishing up the second book in the Gifted Series, which is due to be released on October 26. I am also working on a new series called My Teenage Life, a young adult, drama, comedy series genre. Also, in the near future, I’ll be working on another series, which is mostly sci-fi and adventure. I haven’t completely wrapped my brain around it so it’s a project that will come later on. But I’m very excited to start both new series.

Thank you so much Ebony, for coming by, introducing your book and answering a few questions!



Author's Links:

2 comments:

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!