August 26, 2013

Book Review: Delirium

Delirium (Delirium, #1)
Title: Delirium.
Author: Lauren Oliver.
Series: Yes, #1.
Pages: 441.
Source: Purchased.
Publisher: HarperCollins.
Published Date: 2/7/12.
Links:
Goodreads.
Barnes and Noble.

Summary:

"Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't."

Cover:

I'm not one for covers with faces on them. Why? I just feel like they do nothing for the story; when looking at this book you know nothing about what's inside, you don't know that it has to do with love, or a controlling society!

I feel that the story itself has so much substance, and has so many great qualities, that the cover could portray, but doesn't.

My Thoughts:

PLEASE don't throw rocks at me!!! I know this book has come out forever ago, I know its been sitting on my shelf and collecting dust for months, and I know I'm extremely late!! But I finally read it, now I'm reviewing it, and I also purchased the second book! ...I know, I'm good.

Delirium got so much hype, amazing reviews, and had all book bloggers talking about it, back when it first released! I knew I had to pick up a copy for myself, and read it as soon as possible. But we all know things don't always work out that way and things come up, and even some things are forgotten! But I read, and completely loved Delirium, and I'm here today to tell you just how much I do!!!

Delirium follows the story of Lena Haloway, who lives in this strange backwards society, that claims love to be a disease.But luckily when Lena turns eighteen, the government will grant her with the "cure" to love. Once a person is "cured", that person doesn't feel any emotions, not to partner, not to their family, animals or anything. That person just doesn't feel. After the cure is given, that person is matched (by the government) to someone else who seems to be compatible.

Adults who aren't cured, are known as Invalids and are shunned out by society. Rumors have it, that many invalids live outside of the governments border. Due to this anyone who is cured and children under eighteen, must carry around identification cards at all times. The government has set crazy rules, such as a curfew time, and they are allowed to raid homes whenever they please.

But Lena's story isn't just that simple, she's afraid of getting the cure and it not working, just like it didn't on her mother. Lena's mother was given the cured four times, and love still took her over; she committed suicide due to the emotions she was feeling. Not wanting to turn out like her mother, and allowing love to take her over, Lena has to look her best, and do her best in the interview before receiving the cure.

Nervous and already making mistakes just a few minutes into the interview, Lena is relieved when cows come running in and taking over the place. Lena is given another date and time for an interview. But before she leaves she catches a glimpse of the guy who is the cause of the cow stampede, taking over her interview.

Lena and her friend Hana soon bump into the same guy later; Alex. Lena starts to feel these emotions, and have thoughts she never had before, and all of them involve Alex. Lena starts to think that maybe the cure isn't what she wants, maybe she does like the feeling of love taking her over...and maybe the government is wrong.

Uhhh can we all just agree this is an amazing book? Love? A disease? What the HECK?! I love the concept, I love the characters, and overall I really enjoyed the story!

Lena was down to earth, and feared a lot. Her mother went through a lot because of love and not receiving the cure properly. Lena's biggest fear was turning out just like her mother, and becoming completely shunned by society.

My first thought when meeting Alex was, why does he have all these cows? And why is he just letting them run wild? But then my next thoughts were that he was cute, sweet, good looking and older! (*wipes drool of keyboard*) I liked the relationship he had with Lena; it was true love, and not the disease this society is so afraid of.

There was one thing that did bother me a little bit throughout the story; Lena's quick change in mind over the cure. Lena has lived her life in fear of love, counting down the seconds until her cure, but with by barely meeting Alex she quickly changes her mind. I feel that Lena gave in much too quickly about not wanting the cure. Alex didn't have to beg her, or ask her over and over again. I felt like he asked one time, and before he could even finish the question Lena already agreed to do whatever it was he was saying.

Overall Delirium was an amazing reading, and I hate myself for just letting it collect dust on my shelf for this long! I'm excited to get to the next book, and finish the series! I haven't read any reviews on the rest of the books, so I have no clue what will happen next!


3 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book now! I'm like you, I've been wanting to read it for ages and ages, but I just haven't got around to it yet! :)

    theearththroughalens.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that way about many books - hate that I let it collect dust on my shelf when it ended up being so good and I wished I would have read it sooner!

    I remember really loving Delerium and I need to get the rest of the series finished!

    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite part of Delirium was the world-building. I wasn't a huge fan of Lena, but the whole concept was amazing and so unique.

    Glad you love it so much! Pandemonium is even better!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!