August 09, 2015

This Week's TBR!

The books I have recently been craving are something I wouldn't usually pick up, or books I would pick up, but not normally my first choice.

....I feel like a pregnant women, wanting pickles with Nutella spread on top, when I decide what books I should read or what books I should buy. It's summer time, which means I'm usually spending the afternoon reading the newest contemporary books, and completely swooning over them.

But for some reason, this isn't what's happening this summer. This summer I'm looking for something different, something out of the ordinary, and something I don't truly understand.

So I decided to head to the book store, in hopes of finding something to read, that follows this criteria...and I did. After spending an hour or two wandering the aisle, I found the two gems I've been looking for.

I added these ones to my TBR for this week, as well as the book I'm currently in the middle of and another book that I already owned. And here they are,

The Killing Woods

The Killing Woods, by Lucy Christopher.

"Ashlee Parker is dead, and Emily Shepherd's dad is accused of the crime. A former soldier suffering from PTSD, he emerges from the woods carrying the girl's broken body. "Gone," he says, then retreats into silence.

What really happened that wild night? Emily knows in her bones that her father is innocent -- isn't he? Before he's convicted, she's got to find out the truth. Does Damon Hilary, Ashlee's charismatic boyfriend, have the answers? Or is he only playing games with her -- the kinds of games that can kill?"

This is the book I'm currently reading. I loved Lucy Christopher's Stolen, and when I found this one hiding in my local Barnes and Noble, I couldn't resist. So far I do have to say that I liked Stolen more than I do this one, but I also feel that these last few days I've been so busy, and haven't been giving this story the full attention it requires.

I am excited though to continue reading it, and really found out who did it!

Forbidden

Forbidden, by Tabitha Suzuma.

This one is about a brother and sister, who have a close bond, that is much closer than most siblings have. I obviously, haven't read it yet, but the synopsis sounds very intriguing!

"Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As de facto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: A love this devastating has no happy ending."

I haven't read anything like this before, and I'm dying to finally get to it. I love romance, and I'm craving for out of the ordinary, which makes Forbidden perfect for me!

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, by Benjamin Alire Saenz.

I also don't know too much about this one, except for the fact that my best friend Shawnee @ YA Fiction Review adored it, and that it's about two boys who fall in love! I've been meaning to pick this one up for a while now, because the cover is just too interesting to pass up!

"Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be."

And the last book, that I picked out of my book shelf is....

The Offering (Pledge Trilogy Series #3)

The Offering by Kimberly Derting

"True love—and world war—is at stake in the conclusion to The Pledge trilogy, a dark and romantic blend of dystopia and fantasy.

Charlie, otherwise known as Queen Charlaina of Ludania, has become comfortable as a leader and a ruler. She’s done admirable work to restore Ludania’s broken communications systems with other Queendoms, and she’s mastered the art of ignoring Sabara, the evil former queen whose Essence is alive within Charlie. Or so she thinks.

When the negotiation of a peace agreement with the Queendom of Astonia goes awry, Charlie receives a brutal message that threatens Ludania, and it seems her only option is to sacrifice herself in exchange for Ludanian freedom.

But things aren’t always as they seem. Charlie is walking into a trap—one set by Sabara, who is determined to reclaim the Queendoms at any cost."

I gobbled down The Pledge and The Essence, and can't wait to read this one! I haven't reviewed either one of the first two books, in the hopes of writing a trilogy review! I absolutely love Kimberly Derting's characters and can't wait to see what this last book has in store for me. 

I hope to re-read her Body Finder series soon, so hopefully those will be showing up in a TBR within the next few weeks!

So what are you currently reading? What do you plan on reading next? I would love to know! I'm always looking for something new and fun!


2 comments:

  1. I loved Stolen, as well, but I haven't heard anything about The Killing Woods. Sounds interesting though! I hope you end up liking it. Aristotle and Dante... now that one I've heard PLENTY. So many people loved it!

    Happy reading!

    Haraiah @ Random Things In Action

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see how The Killing Woods ends! It has a lot to live up to considering how amazing Stolen was! Aristotle and Dante might just have to be the next book I pick up. I've seen it around, it's earned so many awards, and like you said, a lot of people have been enjoying it!

      Are you picking it up soon? :)

      Lisa

      Delete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!