August 20, 2015

My Experience With Commuting To School


Two years ago, I made the decision to attend a university that is very close to home and gave me the option to commute to school and back.

I had a few reasons as to why I chose this school, and one of them was the availability to commute to class. The other reasons include financials, the business program the school provides, as well as it being a university, instead of a community college.

...I'm not going to name the school, because you know...there are creeps out there!

During my senior year of high school, my friends were excited to head off to college, move into their dorm rooms, become best friends with their roommates, and attend parties, I wasn't. I was more excited to attend a program that followed what I hope to do in the future. I also didn't want to spend twice as much, just to be crammed into a small dorm room with someone else.

I enjoy being home, I enjoy being around my family and my boyfriend. I enjoy not having to move into and out of a dorm room every year. Also I enjoy the fact that I don't have to travel during the holidays to come home, because I'm already here.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people like moving out of their home and into a dorm room. They get to decorate their room however they want, and they get to be on their own for the first time. But I basically have the freedom to do both of those things anyways.

After commuting to school for the last two years, I could easily say that I don't mind it. It takes me approximately twenty five minutes to get from my house, to my classroom. I buy a parking pass at the beginning of each quarter, so I'm not paying the outrageous hourly parking, and I also don't have to leave in the middle of the class to renew the parking meter.

Thanks to the school being pretty close to home, and to my fuel efficient car, gasoline and the price thereof isn't an issue.

When it comes to scheduling classes, I try to fit them all in order. That way I don't have a big break in between, I don't have to drive twice a day, and I also don't have to go to school all five days, but instead two or three.

Would I recommend commuting to school?!

Ultimately, this is your own personal decision, and to commute, or not to commute, is based on a lot of different factors. How close or far away do you live from campus? Do you have a bigger car that uses a lot of gas? Does your school provide assigned parking, or parking passes? Would commuting be convenient with your class scheduling?

Would I recommend commuting? If you're considering the idea, I would have to say yes. Do some research, check to see where you would be parking, how long it would take you to school, and how much gas you would be using.

If you're on the edge, and not truly sure if it's worth it, I would have to say no. I haven't had the entire "dorm room" experience, but if living on campus seems to make sense to you, then you should do it.

If you decide to commute, or not to commute, you're still going there for the same reason; getting your degree. So enjoy it, while you can. Do what you have to, to save money and get to class.

I hoped this post gave you a little bit of insight what it's like to drive to school everyday. But if you want a more detailed post on the entire process, from actually driving, to finding way to save money, to making sure to find a parking spot, please let me know! I can try to answer any questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!