August 28, 2011

Book Review #44: Cryer's Cross

Title: Cryer's Cross.
Author: Lisa McMann.
Format: Audio Book.
Pages: 5 1/2 hours.
Series: Nope.
Publisher: Simon and Schuster.
Published Date: February 8, 2011.

Summary:

"Kendall loves her life in small town Cryer's Cross, Montana, but she also longs for something more. She knows the chances of going to school in New York are small, but she's not the type to give up easily. Even though it will mean leaving Nico, the world's sweetest boyfriend, behind.
But when Cryer's Cross is rocked by unspeakable tragedy, Kendall shoves her dreams aside and focuses on just one goal: help find her missing friends. Even if it means spending time with the one boy she shouldn't get close to... the one boy who makes her question everything she feels for Nico.
Determined to help and to stay true to the boy she's always loved, Kendall keeps up the search--and stumbles upon some frightening local history. She knows she can't stop digging, but Kendall is about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried...."


Cover:

Just looking at the cover, it gives me the creeps. I'm not exactly one for scary books or movies, but I really enjoyed Lisa McMann's Wake (another series, which I need to finish).

Characters-

Favorite:

Jacian, my favorite (cute!) soccer player! First getting to know him, he comes across as a total jerk. Which is very understandable, since he was forced to move to the small town of Cryer's Cross, away from his girl and friends, his high school, and the shot of playing in front of scouts.

Through out the story, Jacian changes. Instead of having that hard and rough exterior, he opens up and becomes really sweet (especially when he starts having feelings for Kendall!).

Least Favorite:

In Lisa McMann's Cryer's Cross, I don't think I have a least favorite character.

Kendall the main character, seemed really sweet! Jacian, was a cutie! Nico, seemed really nice, even though I really could of have done without the whole, "Baby, I love you....I'll never stop lovin you baby...!". It was a little awkward for me.

But I did kind of wish Kendall also had a best girlfriend, instead of just Nico. Someone she could lean on and have girl talk with!(:

Story Line:

I don't know if you guys have ever noticed, but most scary books or movies take place in small and out of the way towns (Wax House, Cryer's Cross, I Spit on Your Grave, Straw Dogs, etc)...where no one will or would ever know what REALLY happened.

So yeah...just wanted to point that out.

Cryer's Cross, takes place in a the small town (duh) of, you guessed it Cryer's Cross!! This small town and it's people have just been through a lot, a senior from Kendall's high school went missing a few months back.

No body was ever found, and people went back to their normal life (well as best as they could). *SPOILER ALERT!* When Nico, Kendall's best guy friend (and some what boyfriend), also goes missing, the town starts taking safety precautions.

No teenagers can be out late, and are assigned to a partner; who they will always have to be with, going to school and back home. When Kendall is assigned to Jacian, (a.k.a the jerk and soccer player) she gets to know and learn more about him.

I really enjoyed this book! Even though I would listen to it, while driving my car it still gave me that creep factor. (Thank goodness, I didn't listen to it at night!)

If you enjoyed Lisa McMann's Wake series, you LOVE Cryer's Cross!:D

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. This sounds like a good book...I love "creepy"!!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I did really enjoy Lisa McMann's Wake trilogy. I will have to add Cryer's Cross to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree about creepy stories taking place in small towns! I wonder why that is? It's like one of those "no one can hear you scream" things O_O I loved this book too -- Kendall was a fabulous character =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book in one day. :) It´s not really horror, but who cares? :) I love it so much! :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard a lot of hype about this book, but never picked it up off my shelf. Looks like it will stay there collecting dust a little longer. I like this version of the cover though. It's more appealing than the empty desk version.

    Mica
    Best Reviews for Atlantic Highlands NJ Maid Service website

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!