August 24, 2011

Book Review #43: But I Love Him


Title: But I Love Him.
Author: Amanda Grace.
Format: Paperback.
Pages: 245.
Series: Nope.
Publisher: Flux.
Published Date: May 2011.
Buy: Amazon

Summary:

"Sometimes at night, I wake up and stare at the heart for hours. I think of how I collected each piece from the beach, how I glued it all together into one big sculpture. I wonder if Connor realizes what it means, that he'll always have a piece of me no matter what happens. Each piece of glass is another piece of myself that I gave to him.
It's too bad I didn't keep any pieces for myself.
At the beginning of senior year, Ann was a smiling, straight-A student and track star with friends and a future. Then she met a haunted young man named Connor. Only she can heal his emotional scars; only he could make her feel so loved - and needed. Ann can't recall the pivotal moment it all changed, when she surrendered everything to be with him, but by graduation, her life has become a dangerous high wire act. Just one mistake could trigger Connor's rage, a senseless storm of cruel words and violence damaging everything - and everyone - in its path."


Cover:

Looking at this cover, I automatically think Twenty Boy Summer. The difference is I like this cover better! It has a soft velvety feel, and the black background makes the cover look SUPER clean and neat. I like that the cover doesn't have too much going, and isn't too overpowering.

Characters-

Favorite:

Ann, the main character has to be my favorite, even though I wanted to punch her every time she forgave Conner for hitting her (Ironic? Ops!). Ann just seemed like someone I would want to hangout with and want to help her.

All she wanted, like any other girl, was have that perfect fairy tale romance.

Least Favorite:

Would have to be Conner. He always talks about how bad he feels for his mom, and how he would never do that to Ann. But than he turns around and breaks her wrist or tries to punch her in the face.

Why wouldn't he just take his mom and leave?

Another thing that would irritate me, is how always feels sorry for himself; telling Ann to leave him, because she deserves better! If you really love her, why would you say that? Feeling sorry for yourself is NOT attractive!

Story Line:

If you've read any other reviews or book hauls, than you should already know that But I Love Him actually goes backwards. Chapter One starts with the present, with Ann laying on the floor pretty beat up. Than Chapter Two talks about what happened two days ago, than Chapter Three talks about what happens four days ago. Than the next chapter goes back to the present. Its a little confusing, but I really liked the format.

Conner has lived in a abusive environment his entire life; his dad abused and still does his mom. After getting out of school, getting a job, and earning his own money, Conner bought his own apartment.

While Ann, still lives with her mom, goes to high school, and enjoys running track.

Things seem to be going well for Conner, but not so well for Ann. Ann's mom, doesn't think very highly of Conner, and doesn't think Ann should be dating him. High school's almost over, anyways, so she decides to move out, to finally get away from the arguing; claiming Conner needed her more than her own mom did.

This book was amazing, and I would recommend it to any girl, women, wife, daughter and sister. I would love to read some more from Mandy (or Amanda), she's really funny and she has a great style in writing!(:

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I always think of Twenty Boy Summer when I see the cover too. Is this one sea glass as well?

    Glad you enjoyed it! This definitely sounds like an emotional read but also one that I would like. Plus, I am so curious about this backwards thing! Can safely say I've never read a book like that before.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great perspective on domestic violence. This book provides the account of a young girls relationship which involves domestic violence and total control. It really provides insight onto why it is not as easy as people say to just walk out of these situations, without being pitiful.
    visit site for Software Download Microsoft from TrustPrice

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!