August 08, 2011

Book Review #39: Paradox (The Angels Are Here)


Title: Paradox (The Angels Are Here).
Author: Patti Roberts.
Format: Paperback.
Pages: 172.
Series: Yes, #1.
Publisher: Patti Roberts.
Published Date: June 14, 2011.

Summary:

"Paradox Series: Spanning over centuries to the present day, this is a story about love, loss and betrayal. The horrifying discovery that nothing is as it seems. When there is nowhere left to run & letting go is your only choice.

Nine hundred years ago, under the complete cover of darkness, the Grigorian army rose silently from their underground lair and attacked the Bulguardian Royal Palace. The bloody and violent battle between the two most legendary houses raged on. All but destroying the majestic Royal City of Altair.

It was not the first war that Juliette had endured between good and evil. And it most certainly would not be her last.

Today, A little girl's world is turned upside down by a visitor,the Angel of Death. She finds herself trapped in a nightmare, consumed by her paralyzing loss and overwhelming grief. The haunting visions and untimely deaths of others are a constant reminder that life and death are only a heartbeat apart.

She eventually befriends the unusual little girl who moves in next door with captivating violet eyes and a profound knowledge of things that far exceeds her tender years.

A saga crossing over two worlds. Two souls being drawn precariously together over the centuries.

When your destiny has been written in blood, and you are left with one burning question. Is your Guardian Angel from Heaven or Hell?
"


Cover: 2/5

When starting my blog, I promised myself and my followers that I would always review books with my honest opinions, and if you've read my review policy it also states that I don't review books that I haven't finished or didn't like.

But in this case, there were things I really loved about this book and it's story line and things I thought were confusing!

So without further a do let's get started. The cover, I really like the idea of it. I'm confused about the heart, and the circle inside of it? I feel with a little more work this cover would be awesome.

If that heart was gone, if the actual title "The Angels Are Here" were bigger, and Paradox wouldn't be there I feel like the cover would be so much better. I love the forest in the background, it's creepy and dark.

I only gave this cover a two out of five, because it looks unfinished. The heart isn't edited in right, also the circle inside of it and the feather are very pixel-y.

Even though I rated this cover kind of low, I'm still interested in seeing the cover's of the rest of the series.

Characters-

Favorite:

In most books, you feel like you get to know the characters and become more familiar with them. But in The Angels Are Here, even after reading and finishing the book, I feel like the characters are strangers.

I feel like there are just so many loose ends that weren't tied, especially with Angela and her parents, Grace's father, officer Wade, and the people 1080 AD that you read about in the beginning and end of the book.

But I would have to pick Angela as my favorite character. Even though I don't know much about her, she seems smart and independent!(:

Least Favorite:

The people from 1080 AD. I'm not sure, but I think their all siblings. Abaddon, kisses his little sister Theria, they also have a older brother, who's soon marrying Pandora, who is at the end of the book naked with Abaddon, right before he has sex with Theria.

I felt like the relationship these people had, and all of these names were just really confusing. Everything went so fast!

Story Line:

When I first started reading this book, it started in 1080 AD, when you meet all of those characters I was telling you earlier about. I was so confused on who was who, and their relationships to each other. I felt like these characters should have been introduced a lot slower, and with more detail. Instead of only using one chapter to introduce five or six characters, it would have been better if it was stretched out within three or four chapters.

Then it goes to the future, and you meet a girl named Grace. I really like the middle part! I felt that the main idea of it was genius! But again a lot of details were left out, loose ends weren't tied and things became a bit confusing.

Grace, meets this new girl at school named Angela who she becomes best friends with. I really enjoyed reading and getting to know Angela, but again there wasn't much details on why she acted the way she did and what happened to her parents.

Throughout the middle of this book, Grace has visions or maybe even nightmares, where she becomes a different person. A different person, in a different time and location. Also I felt these "visions" were confusing and weren't really tied into the story.

The Angels Are Here, ended with the people from 1080 AD. Abaddon was just having sex with his brother's wife, when Theria, his little sister walked in. The story ended with them having sex.

My opinion on The Angels Are Here is that not only is it confusing but also too many ideas and things going on. Is it in the past? Or the present? There are too many characters, and Grace's visions don't connect to the story.

I felt a little over whelmed and kind of wanting more when I finished this book. If it were more organized, slower, more detailed, and everything made a bit more sense, I think this book would be A-Mazing.

The main idea of this book is great, but I feel that it wasn't interpreted very well:/

Even though, I'm not sure if I liked The Angels Are Here, I still want to read the second book. I want to see if everything makes more sense, and if things get better.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. Great review. I think with a better editor the issues would have been addressed before publication but I remember feeling like my head was kind of spinning when I read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard about this book until I got to your blog but it seems really great! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...ummm...that sounds different! I never heard of this book before. Good review.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!