August 16, 2011

Book Review #41: Withering Tights


Title: Withering Tights.
Author: Louise Rennison.
Series: Yes.
Format: Hardback.
Pages: 288.
Publisher: HarperCollins.
Published Date: June 2011.
Source: Library.
Buy: Amazon

Summary:

"Wow. This is it. This is me growing up. On my own, going to Performing Arts College. This is good-bye, Tallulah, you long, gangly thing, and hellooooo, Lullah, star of stage.
Tallulah Casey is ready to find her inner artist. And some new mates. And maybe a boy or two or three.
The ticket to achieving these lofty goals? Enrolling in a summer performing arts program, of course. She's bound for the wilds of Yorkshire Dales—eerily similar to the windswept moors of Wuthering Heights. Tallulah expects new friends, less parental interference, and lots of drama. Acting? Tights? Moors? Check, check, check.
What she doesn't expect is feeling like a tiny bat's barging around in her mouth when she has her first snog."


Cover: 5/5

Looking at this cover, I couldn't help but smile. It's so cute! The stocking textured background, the baby owl, and the legs wearing pink and black stockings.

I love covers like this. Every element in this picture actually has something to do with the story itself. I hate when I finish reading a book, and still have no clue how the cover ties in. Looking at the cover you could guess what the story actually may be about!

Characters-

Favorite:

Every single character in Withering Tights made me laugh, no matter if it was something they did, said or even thought. Talullah (also known as Georgia Nicolson's cousin, from Rennison's other series, ha!), has to be my favorite. Her insecurities about her knees and height was silly. No one besides yourself notices these microscopic things, you call imperfections. They make you who you are!

Talullah, would try to hide her knees from everyone, especially boys. To do this, she would wear tights, or really high stockings, which made me laugh. Talullah, is definitely my favorite person in this book.

Least Favorite:

I do have a least favorite character, but sadly I don't remember his name. I borrowed this book from the library and had to return (even though I really wanted to keep it!).

But he was one of three brother, who were all part of a rock band. Which in for them was awesome, because they could get more girls that way. Talullah, bumped into a few times throughout Withering Tights, catching him "snogging" with different girls, when she had her first kiss, and lastly in the barn with the baby owls.

Even though, we didn't get to know much about him, I really disliked him. I'm truly not sure why; maybe since I really liked Talullah, who didn't like him. He just doesn't seem like a guy I would want to be friends with, "snog" with, or even know.

Story Line:

Even though singing, acting and dancing aren't any of Talullah Casey's strengths she still on her way to Dother Hall (a school for the artistically talented), for a five week summer program. If you have a high enough score after those five weeks, you'll be able to come back for school.

When arriving, Talullah makes a group of girlfriends very easily (Flossie, Vaisey, Honey and Jo)! Besides worrying about their "corkers" growing, these girls are boy obsessed, and worried about getting their first kiss.

If you've read and enjoy Louise Rennison's other series, than you'll love Withering Tights too. It's not as funny, but I still have to admit I have a lot of fun reading it(:

1 comment:

  1. This was definitely a good book. I loved the Georgia books and this one was almost as good. Very funny, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!