June 27, 2011

Book Review #30: Th1rteen R3asons Why


Title: Th1rteen R3asons Why.
Author: Jay Asher.
Pages: 288.
Format: Hardback.
Series: Nope!
Publisher: Razor Bill.
Published Date: October 18, 2007.

Summary:

"Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker–his classmate and crush–who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers."


Cover: 3/5
Yes, it is really pretty, but I feel like a cover could have been created that related more towards the actual story. Now, if Hannah would like to go to the park to swing and think about things, than yes. But I feel it has no real connection to the story line:/

Characters-

Favorite:

In this book I don't really have a favorite, but I really like a lot of the characters; Clay, Hannah, Tony, and Clay's mom. They all seem like people I would actually want to hangout with and become friends with.

What I enjoyed about Clay's mom, was that even though she was worried and knew Clay was lying to her about this "class project" that he had to do, she knew he was going through something. Still caring about him, like any mother should, also gave him his space and time for himself.

Least Favorite:

Again, I don't hate just one person, actually I hate a few! But here's one of them. What kind of a creep goes around spying on his classmate? *SPOILER ALERT!* One of Hannah's reasons of her suicide included when one of her classmates, is sneaking around outside of her bedroom window, snapping pictures. If I were in her shoes, I would have called the cops right away! What a pervert!

Story Line: 5/5

When someone commits suicide, you never really find out they did it. What could have brought them to want to end their own life? What could have been so bad?

This novel, by Jay Asher, describes the journey a boy named Clay goes through after a girl named Hannah committed suicide. This girl isn't just any girl, Clay has deep feelings for her, even though he feels like he barely knows her.

No one truly knew why Hannah wanted to end her own life, and no one know what was coming their way. Hannah had a lot of secrets people didn't know about. Well until a package was shipped to their door step. This package included, a couple of tapes and a map. Everyone that receives this package, has something to do with Hannah's death.

These tapes, include the thirteen reasons why, Hannah over dosed.

5 comments:

  1. I've heard so many amazing things about this book and I have it on my WL. I've had friends commit suicide so I think it might be a little emotional. I remember spending a lot of time wondering WHY?! And of course never getting any answers. Anyway, great review! I'm even more excited to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna read this, but I haven't time :/ From your review I have so big taste to read it, that I can't believe it! Great review, I give 13 reasons why to my to-read-soon shelf :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Love LOVE this book. AMAZING and so sad! Totally cant wait for the movie...heard Selena Gomez was set to star, so I dunno how I feel about that :S. Anyway, Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I loved this book as well it was such an accurate picture of what teen suicide is like. Great review. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. Also. I agree about the cover!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such an amazing book.

    Honestly, it's just one of those ones I think everyone should read. It definitely makes you second guess yourself when you say/do things that aren't nice. Every little thing can build up into something huge and ugly. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!