January 10, 2012

Book Review #67: Pure by Julianna Baggott

PureTitle: Pure.
Author: Julianna Baggott.
Series: Yes, #1.
Format: ARC.
Source: Not sure anymore!
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing.
Published Date: February 8, 2012.

Summary:

"We know you are here, our brothers and sisters . . .
Pressia barely remembers the Detonations or much about life during the Before. In her sleeping cabinet behind the rubble of an old barbershop where she lives with her grandfather, she thinks about what is lost-how the world went from amusement parks, movie theaters, birthday parties, fathers and mothers . . . to ash and dust, scars, permanent burns, and fused, damaged bodies. And now, at an age when everyone is required to turn themselves over to the militia to either be trained as a soldier or, if they are too damaged and weak, to be used as live targets, Pressia can no longer pretend to be small. Pressia is on the run.
Burn a Pure and Breathe the Ash . . .
There are those who escaped the apocalypse unmarked. Pures. They are tucked safely inside the Dome that protects their healthy, superior bodies. Yet Partridge, whose father is one of the most influential men in the Dome, feels isolated and lonely. Different. He thinks about loss-maybe just because his family is broken; his father is emotionally distant; his brother killed himself; and his mother never made it inside their shelter. Or maybe it's his claustrophobia: his feeling that this Dome has become a swaddling of intensely rigid order. So when a slipped phrase suggests his mother might still be alive, Partridge risks his life to leave the Dome to find her.

When Pressia meets Partridge, their worlds shatter all over again."


Cover:

Looking at the cover, before reading Pure, no one could ever guess what it means, or if it means anything at all.

Once you know what the butterfly and the round thing it's sitting stand for, you realize the cover's beauty! How much it actually has to do with the story and it's characters.

My Thoughts:

Pure is written by Julianna Baggott, and is almost 450 pages long! I tend to put thicker books, towards the bottom of my "To Be Read" list, but since it's the new year and I'm trying to improve myself and Turning Pages I decided I should read it first!

....and I have to read it for Burn Bright Book Club anyways...

What are we (humans) going to do, once earth isn't inhabitable anymore? What do we do once there's an apocalypse? Is the human race going to survive? And what if the government has a lot to do with all of this?

Pure actually takes place in the future!

Pressia, the main character, doesn't know her parents, doesn't remember her childhood, and doesn't know what it feels like to live in a safe neighborhood, where she isn't worried about being taken from her elderly grandfather.

After the apocalypse, many passed away, everything was destroyed, people who did survive had very little left and could never be the same.

But those who reached the Dome in time, were safe and unharmed. Now kept away from the rest of the world, and known as Pures.

Since Pures are separated from the others, no one has ever seen one in person.

...That is until one day, when a Pure boy, named Partridge, escapes the Dome. Leaving behind his life, home, friends, and father, Partridge goes on a search for his mother.

When these two characters "stumble" upon one another, they run into a lot of trouble, and life will never be the same, for either one.

Even though Pure, was one of the longest books I've read in my Turning Pages blog history, I feel like I finished it a lot faster than I expected and wanted to. Pure is only the first book in a series, thank goodness! I'm not sure how many books Julianna Baggott will be writing, but I can't wait to read more about Partridge, Pressia and everyone else in Pure!

Sadly Pure isn't coming out til the beginning of February, but I recommend you run to the bookstore as soon as it does! I'm usually not into reading books about the future, and what might happen to the human race, but Pure wasn't what I expected it to be, and it really changed my mind!

Thanks for reading my review of Pure, I hope you guys have an awesome day!

-Lisa(:

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Review, I got this through NetGalley, I am reading it now and it is so great. Can't wait to see what happens. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved
    i so need a physical copy lol
    gr8 review

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!