May 30, 2012

Book Review: The Fault In Our Stars

The Fault in Our StarsTitle: The Fault In Our Stars.
Author: John Green.
Series: No.
Format: Hardback.
Pages: 318.
Source: Library.
Publisher: Dutton Books.
Published Date: January 10, 2012.
Summary:

"Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind."

Cover:

Even though I like this cover, I wish it reflected the story more than it does.

My Thoughts:

Everyone has problems, and no one's life is perfect. Maybe financially, family or health wise, everyone has their own issues and difficulties. In The Fault In Our Stars, the main character Hazel has her own set of issues. At 12 she was told she had cancer in her lungs, Hazel was told she wasn't going to live much longer. Getting another chance at 14 the tumor in her lungs shrunk.

Besides spending her afternoons watching the newest episodes of America's Next Top Model, Hazel also attends a cancer support group for teens! Where she meets a cute friend of a friend named Gus, who himself, recently over came cancer, but sadly lost his leg in the battle.

Hazel and Gus waste no time becoming close, and already share some common interests; reading and poetry (not America's Top Model). Going on their own journey (literally across the world) and having the time of their lives', but things aren't like what they seem to Hazel. The world around Hazel does a 360, and her life changes completely.

I already knew The Fault In Our Stars was going to be extremely sad, but the ending wasn't anything like I expected! Not at all! One part that made me feel that way, was when Hazel described how the support group leader would read off a list, that had previous members who passed away from their disease, at the end of every session. That must be really upsetting, being in that support group, just hopping your name won't be on there anytime soon.

This is the first book from John Green that I've read, but I do plan on reading a few more, if you like any in particular please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. great review!... ive been on the fence about this one just bc one of my friends, like u, thought it was so sad :\ im a bug crybaby. i'll let u knw how it treats me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! I love how you put a synopsis in your review, it'd really help people that haven't read it yet. I absolutely love John Green and I'm glad you did too! He makes me cry like crazy haha Looking for Alaska is one of my favourites :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!