September 29, 2013

Book Review: Shadows.

Shadows (The Rephaim, #1)Title: Shadows.
Author: Paula Weston.
Series: Yes, #1.
Pages: 400.
Source: Author.
Publisher: Tundra Books.
Published Date: 9/10/13
Links:
Goodreads
Barnes and Nobles

Summary:

"It's almost a year since Gaby Winters watched her twin brother die. In the sunshine of a new town her body has healed, but her grief is raw and constant. It doesn't help that every night in her dreams she fights and kills hell-beasts. And then Rafa comes to town. Not only does he look exactly like the guy who's been appearing in Gaby's dreams, he tells her things about her brother and her life that cannot be true, things that are dangerous. Who is Rafa? Who are the Rephaim? And who is Gaby? The truth lies in the shadows of her nightmares."

Cover:

If you've read a few of my reviews, you know how important covers are to me. Covers of books are first impressions, yes, we aren't supposed to judge books by their covers, but really, who doesn't? Covers are what pulls people, and makes them pick up the book to see what its about.

When looking at this cover, right away you know it's about angels! Awesome! (For once, not just a person, or face.)

My Thoughts:

The first time I heard about Shadows, was when a fellow reviewer over at Burn Bright suggested it for our monthly book club reviews; since then I haven't stopped hearing about it! Shadows has gotten amazing reviews, and numerous five star ratings from book bloggers I trust! With more than one person bullying me (JK) into reading this book, I knew it was time I picked it up, also my review is due!

For the month of September, Shadows was on the top of my TBR list, and the first book I picked up!

After reading Starcrossed I've been craving angel books, and this is exactly what Shadows is all about, This story follows a girl named Gaby, who has recently lost her twin brother in a car accident and is still dealing with it today. It seems that no matter how much therapy she goes to, or time passes, she isn't able to fully grieve her bother's death.

Gaby was tired of living her life, and decided to pack up and leave. She got on a bus one day, where she meet her now best friend, Maggie. Living together in Pan Beach, Gabe is in the hopes that she will be able to get through the loss of her brother and be able to continue on with her life.

But all that is shattered when Gabe meets Rafa at a bar one night, and changes everything. Gabe isn't who she thinks she is, her brother Jude didn't die the way she thought he did, and she is thrown into the world of Rephaim.

After finally reading Shadows, I can tell you first hand, that everything, everyone is raving about in their reviews is correct! The story is so different from the average YA angel book. The characters are mature, have substance as well as grow and change throughout the book. The romance between Gabe and Rafa is hateful at first, but sexy and sweet later on.

Maggie is the best friend anyone can ask for! It doesn't seem to matter what Gabe, or the world throws at them, Maggie always seems to understand and be there for her.

Overall I fell in love with this book. I've had cravings for angels, and Shadows satisfied me to the fullest!I know I usually say a little bit about the ending of the book, but with Shadows I don't think I can do that without giving anything away. All I can say is something crazy happens, and almost every single chapter ends with a cliffhanger. Putting down Shadows, to go eat, or shower, was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

If you get the chance to pick up and read Shadows, DO IT! I know you're all tired of the whole "angel" thing, but I promise you, this one is different!


1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love the sound of this one! The cover is really nice, especially with the wings smeared in red like that. Catchy. And I'm loving the names Gabe/Jude/Rafa. Names are a BIG deal for me when I'm reading, so fabulous ones are such a bonus. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!