July 20, 2015

Life Changes, Different Perspective, Unknown Future...

If you happened to stop by yesterday, and check out my Sticker Release Post for this week, then you may know that I'm going through some big changes. These big changes aren't necessarily happening in Turning Pages Co, this blog, or my Youtube channel, but much more in my personal life. But because there are these big changes happening in my personal life, some changes will also occur in the social media aspect of my life as well, simply because of the ripple affect.

So what's causing all of these drastic life changes? What's making the future so unknown? And what's causing me to see things in a different perspective?

....the quitting of my job, that is!

No, I'm not quitting my job to pursue Etsy, or blogging, or Youtube full time. I love school, I love working, and I'm nowhere near that point in my life.

But it's true, I put in my two weeks notice, Sunday the 12th of July, and this Sunday is my last official day. If you didn't know, I worked as a barista, making coffee and selling frozen yogurt in a local business, here in the Pacific Northwest, and I've had the job for a year now.

In all honesty, I loved the job. I love coffee, I love making it, and I love anyone who loves it. It's fun going to work, and being around people who have the same passion as you. It's fun seeing the same customers, and even starting to get to know them. It's fun, making a yogurt with rainbow sprinkles and handing it to the cute kid in the back seat, with wide eyes. I loved working there, and I loved making people happy.

But in all honesty, there was also a bad side to the job. I worked in a drive through, with no AC, meaning on the hottest days here in Washington, which are almost 100 degrees, I was working a shift in this 115 degree box. If something was broken, for example a yogurt machine (yogurt is what they want us to push, because it makes the most profit), it wouldn't be fixed until weeks later (which makes no sense). If the floor drain to the front sink is clogged, they just wouldn't fix it, meaning we would have to run all the way to the back just to use a sink.

When our old and small ice machine wasn't working, they brought us this new and big one, which looked amazing. But sadly it didn't have a water hose, so for the first three weeks, it was just shooting water all over the floor, meaning whoever came in the next day, was greeted by inches of water, and an hour or two of mopping. And if that isn't enough, the front fridge, where we keep the milk and any other products used to make drinks, also isn't working..so every time someone orders a coffee or Italian soda, its a sprint to the back to get the ingredients.

And I know all that sounds pretty bad, especially for minimum wage, and crappy work hours, but the girls I worked with and the customers I got to know, made it worth it.

I worked with my boyfriend's older sister, Rosa, who is absolutely amazing! She works incredibly hard to get people motivated and caring about this job, even when upper management can't be bothered to do so. We've gotten super close over the last year, and became ultimate best friends. Seeing her and talking to her everyday, is what I'm going to miss the most about my job.

She does just live right down the street, so I can always just swing by and hangout.

What ultimately made me quit? 

You mean besides those conditions? The work hours. I work about five days a week, which isn't too bad, because I'm on summer break. I work weekend mornings, and most week day nights.

With another co-working quitting, due to having to head back to university, someone new needed to be hired. The new guy seems nice, seems professional, but sadly doesn't want to (or can't) work full time. Because he isn't working the full forty hours, it would mean that during the school year I would be working about thirty five hours a week. With four classes, no days off, and practically not a single weekend until winter break, I just couldn't do it. I would be exhausted after the first week, and wouldn't be able to find the time to complete homework and study.

School and pursuing a career, is much more important to me, and excites me even more than working there does. So I decided to put my two weeks in, take a few weeks of summer break, attend classes in the fall, study hard, and find an internship after the new year.

How does quitting this job affect everything else?

Well this job is what paid for my school. I do get a lot of help from the government, so I don't pay too much, but this barista job is what covered the rest of the costs. Thankfully I thought ahead and started to save my money, so I have enough to cover almost the entire next year. But there are other costs, such as textbooks, parking, school supplies, gasoline, etc, which also need to be paid.

Which is where my Etsy shop, Turning Pages Co, comes in. Turning Pages Co is still pretty new, and I'm trying to get the hang of everything. But I hope to spend the rest of my summer break, completely focusing on it, on providing new and fun merchandise, and on getting it running. I hope to profit enough to able to pay off school, and anything that goes along with it.

Turning Pages Co, is obviously run from home, so I can work on it any time of day, meaning I can work around my school and studying schedule. I only attend school two and a half days each week, in the first quarter of the year, which means this is absolutely perfect!

Besides my Etsy shop, I also want to get back to what makes me happy, which is blogging and Youtube.

I'm excited for the future, even though it sounds really scary! I can't wait to see what's in store for me, Turning Pages Co, and for school.

If you've made it all the way to the end of this rant, thank you so much, you have no idea what it means to me! This entire thing has been weighing me down, and I'm so glad I've finally gotten the chance to tell you. I hope you all check out Turning Pages Co, and if you have any suggestions or questions, please feel free to leave them down below!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!