February 21, 2015

Audio Book Review: A Good Marriage

A Good MarriageTitle: A Good Marriage.
Author: Stephen King.
Series: No.
Source: Publisher, for Review.
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio.
Published Date: 9/30/14.
Links:
Book Depository
Goodreads

"What happens when, on a perfectly ordinary evening, all the things you believed in and took for granted are turned upside down? 

When her husband of more than 20 years is away on one of his business trips, Darcy Anderson looks for batteries in the garage. Her toe knocks up against a box under a worktable and she discovers the stranger inside her husband. It's a horrifying discovery, rendered with bristling intensity, and it definitively ends a good marriage."

My Review:

Stephen King has always been one of those authors that I've looked up to. A Good Marriage is the first of his books that I've gotten the chance to read, but he has always been one of my idols. EVERYONE seems talk about him and/or his books, and people can't get enough.

Stephen King seems like a very "adult" and professional author, that I thought was a bit too mature for me. But now that I'm twenty years old, I feel like I can handle his stories, his characters and all of what Stephen King has to throw at me.

When I first popped in this CD, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. My initial thought, after looking at this cover photo, was that a husband kills his wife, or vice versa. I was kind of expecting a "Gone Girl" theme, but was delivered with so much more than that.

I don't want to say too much, because I don't want to ruin the suspense and surprise for you, and I'm going to try and be very careful about what I do tell you.

The story revolves around a couple, Darcy and her husband, who have been happily married for many years, and who still keep that spark glowing between them. They have two successful grown children, and they spend a lot of their free time working together, buying and selling coins.

Darcy couldn't have imagined up a better life. She's as happy as she could be, and loves her children, her husband, and her life.

But after stumbling over a box in the garage, and finding something hidden under a stack of her favorite magazines, Darcy can't help but to start questioning everything. Who is she? Who is he? What has happened over the last twenty years of their marriage and life together? What its all a secret? All a lie?...could he hurt her?

Listening to A Good Marriage on my drives to school was one of the hardest things I had to do. I always found myself considering if I should take the long way to school or back home, so I can get another couple minutes of listening in. It was hard to turn off the car, when things were just getting intense.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. The ending wasn't what I expected, and if I were Darcy, I don't think I would or could have handled it like that. Yes he may not be the person you thought it was, but still, you spent the last twenty or so years with this man, you couldn't just do that to him. You couldn't do that and not feel sad, regret or guilt.

...but then again, I've never been in a situation like that.

I think A Good Marriage was a good read, but I did hope for more powerful ending, and more from their children. It would have been interesting to see what they thought about the entire situation, and if they could have talked Darcy into handling it differently.

Have you read or listened to A Good Marriage? I would love to know what you think!












LINK YOUR REVIEW:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!