November 22, 2013

Book Review: All The Truth That's In Me

All the Truth That's In MeTitle: All The Truth That's In Me.
Author: Julie Berry.
Series: No.
Pages: 288.
Source: For Review (MMSAI)
Publisher: Viking Juvenile.
Published Date: 9/26/13.
Links:
Goodreads.
Barnes and Noble.

Summary:

"Four years ago, Judith and her best friend disappeared from their small town of Roswell Station. Two years ago, only Judith returned, permanently mutilated, reviled and ignored by those who were once her friends and family. Unable to speak, Judith lives like a ghost in her own home, silently pouring out her thoughts to the boy who’s owned her heart as long as she can remember—even if he doesn’t know it—her childhood friend, Lucas. But when Roswell Station is attacked, long-buried secrets come to light, and Judith is forced to choose: continue to live in silence, or recover her voice, even if it means changing her world, and the lives around her, forever. This startlingly original novel will shock and disturb you; it will fill you with Judith’s passion and longing; and its mysteries will keep you feverishly turning the pages until the very last."

My Thoughts:

First impressions are everything, and when it comes to books, covers are what cause these (good or bad) first impressions on someone. The front of All the Truth that’s In Me definitely had a scary and creepy impact on me, but that’s what pulled me in and forced me to read this book. When I began reading, Halloween was just around the corner, and I couldn’t get enough “scary and creepy”; I was excited to see what Julie Berry had in store for me, and what the cover truly meant.

Judith Finch was kidnapped two years ago, by her best friend’s murderer, after witnessing her death from afar. She spent those years in a secluded cabin in the woods with her kidnapper. Before releasing her, he cut half of her tongue, to keep her from telling people of his whereabouts.

Due to inability to speak, Judith can’t describe to her family or the village what abuse and other sufferings she dealt with during those years that she was gone. But Judith does tell the readers her story, through her thoughts and flashbacks that she has during various times.

Upon her return, Judith’s family isn’t and doesn’t act the way she was expecting. Her father had passed away while she was imprisoned in the woods, her mother seems almost upset at her for being kidnapped, and her brother doesn’t seem to truly understand Judith anymore.

While her mother doesn’t want anything to do with her, Judith’s brother starts to become close to her again, once he loses his foot.

Judith has never been able to tell the village what happened to her, but when the community is under attack, she makes a huge sacrifice that will unleash her past. As well as ruin any possibility to be with the man she has been in love since she was young.

After such a long time, Judith learns to speak again with the help and encouragement from her friend and brother. She becomes close to the man she has dream about for so long, and gets the happy ending that she deserves, after everything Judith went through.

When starting to read this book, I realized it was organized a little differently than I expected; it wasn’t by chapters but instead sections. And these sections were grouped by four different books. I didn’t really mind this, because I felt that it was pretty easy to read and understand.

My biggest concern was confusion. I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to keep up with what happened to Judith in the past and what was happening to her right then and there (and how those connected). But Julie Berry did an amazing job describing what occurred in the woods two years ago, with the flashbacks Judith would have throughout the story. I never felt confused, or out of place when reading All the Truth that’s In Me!

Overall I really found the story to be interesting, and enjoyable. I was sitting on the edge of my seat throughout most of the book. Judith had to deal with so much hatred, and horrible things, but in the end everything worked out for her. Judith was so smart and intelligent, but people didn’t think that just because she couldn’t speak. She was such an amazing character, and she truly made the story! All the Truth that’s Me, gave me everything I was expecting from the first impression I got from the cover and so much more. I hope to read more of Julie Berry’s books! All the Truth that’s In Me came out this September so make sure to pick up your own copy today!


1 comment:

  1. I've heard a lot of great things about this book, so I'm excited to check it out at some point. thanks for sharing!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!