April 14, 2014

Audio Book Review: Life's a Witch

Life's a Witch (Life's a Witch, #2)Title: Life's a Witch.
Author: Brittany Geragotelis.
Series: Yes, Life's a Witch #2.
Pages: 320.
Source: Simon & Schuster Audio.
Publisher: Simon & Schuster.
Published Date: 7/9/13.
Links:
Goodreads
Barnes and Noble

Summary:

"Hadley Bishop is the descendant of the most powerful and famous witch of all time—and as the most popular girl at Astor High, it appears as if she's gotten all her best qualities. But when Hadley's mother is kidnapped and killed by the same evil coven that betrayed her great, great, great Grandmother during the Salem Witch Trials, Hadley swears to get rid of the witches once and for all. With the help of the other kids in her coven, the teens wage a war against Samuel Parris and his followers which results in a battle so epic—and dangerous—that the magical world will be changed forever."

My Thoughts:

*Thank you Simon & Schuster for giving me a copy of this book for a honest review*

When I was offered this book for review, there was no I was going to say no. I really enjoyed the first book, What The Spell, and was ready to get into another one of Brittany Geragotelis's books!

But this book didn't start off the way I thought it would. I was a bit thrown off that it started with an entirely different character, her name, Hadley Bishop. Hadley is the queen bee at school, and with the help of her spells she's practically perfected herself. But she isn't just any teenage queen bee, she's a descendant of the first women executed at the Salem Witch Trials.

Hadley and all the witches in her community are a coven, which everuone knows about the each other and their witch powers. The coven trains their children for safety and tries their best to keep their secret from anyone outside, who know what dangers might happen if the world discovered witches and their powers were real?

Hadley doesn't enjoy going to coven meetings, she thinks their boring and would much rather spend her time doing something else. That is until one some of the coven's members goes missing one night, and the rest of the parents, the next night...

Unsure of what to do Hadley sits around for a while, staying low and waiting to see if her mom shows up at home. When a whole day goes by, she calls the other kids in the coven to see if they might know where her mom is and what's going on. Every phone call she makes is practically the same, they don't know and their parents are gone as well.

The group of teenage witches, gathers and decides what to do, and how to destroy the coven that has kidnapped their parents. The spend the next couple of days training, learning how to fight and teaching one another spells. Hadley takes charge, because its what she does.

The group is ready to do anything and everything to safe their parents, even if it means losing their own lives...

Final Verdict:

Again, I found this to be an enjoyable read. It wasn't too dark or intense, but more of a lighter witch read.

While I did enjoy the story, there were some of the things that caught me off guard, which I wanted to discuss in this review. First off, why isn't the main character the same as the first book? I was completely thrown off and confused the first twenty minutes of the audio. And second Asher comes back, but he's a WHOLE different guy than the one I came to like in the first book.

I was just so confused about these two characters when they were each first introduced. I wasn't sure what the author had in store for her readers, but I tried my best to remain open minded throughout the rest of the book. Within a few chapters I started to like Hadley, and the new Asher. Hadley was fun, hardworking and wanted to save the coven's parents. She wasn't going to give up, and she wasn't going to let her mom just "disappear".

Besides that I was hoping for much more action and fighting scenes. The group does spend a lot of time preparing and practicing, so I was keeping my eyes (ears?) open for more fighting...which I did get some, but not as much as I had hoped for.

Overall Life's a Witch was a good story, it did confuse me and have a few downfalls, but in it's entirety I liked it. While I'm not dying to read the next book, I will give it a shot anyways, simply because the first book was such a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!