March 21, 2011

Book Review #6: Vampire Crush

Vampire CrushAuthor: A.M. Robinson
Publish Date: December 28, 2010
Number of Pages: 404
Teaser Sentences...
..."He starts to reach for my chin, and a chill of panic rushes over my body."
..."He is cut off by Vlad's hand wrapping around his throat and slamming him into a cupboard."

"Normal house, normal family, normal school. My looks are average, I don't have any superpowers, no one's showing up to tell me I'm a princess--you get the picture. But when my junior year started, something not normal happened. There were new kids at school . . . new kids with as wardrobe straight out of a 19Th-century romance novel, and an inexplicable desire to stay at school until sundown. And on top of that, James Hallowell showed up. James, who stole my sandwiches in fourth grade and teased me mercilessly through middle school. James, who now seems to have the power to make my heart race any time he comes near. But something weird is going on. Because James rarely goes out during the day. And he seems stronger than your typical guy. And he knows the new kids, all of whom seem to be harboring some kind of deep secret. . ."

My Cover Opinion:

At first glance, all you notice is the bat, right in the middle of the cover, then the beautiful font used to write the title with. The way "crush" is italic, larger, and not block letters is very appealing to the eye (especially with vampire right on top, just slightly smaller). My favorite detail (hands down) has to be the different shades of red, its lighter towards the cover, and gets darker towards the outside. There's nothing too, fabulous about the cover, but it is simple and does the job.

My Overall Opinion:

Whenever someone tells or suggests me to read a book about vampires, I quickly jump to the conclusion that it will be just like Twilight. Now, don't get me wrong, I love twilight (TEAM JACOB, all the way), but all of the vampire books I've read lately have the same basic storyline (which gets really old, really quick). This book, proved me wrong! (it was a slap to the face....well kind of) And I'm really glad I gave it a chance(:

The main character in this book is called Sophie McGee, who wants to become Editor in Chief for her school news paper. She claims she lives an average life, and nothing special ever happens (well until now, of course). Until she sees James Hallowell, an old next door neighbor, who she's known ever since grade school. He had recently moved away, because of the death of his parents; moving back to the same house, where he grow up (just next door to Sophie). But James isn't the only new kid at Sophie's high school: a group of foreign exchange students. When she begins to realize that James isn't actually coming to school, she does some of her own investigating, just to find out not only is he a vampire, and that James knows the foreign exchange students, but they themselves are also vampires.

Throughout their adventure James and Sophie connect and have a romantic bit, which grows over time. Vlad's (leader of the exchange group) looks for his long lost love, who he suspects goes to school there, and also has a small romance with Sophie's younger sister (which doesn't last long). Willing to go to any distance to find his love, Vlad tries getting with all the girls who attend this school, looking for the girl with the tattoo of a star (somewhere on her body).

This story does have a happy ending, James and Sophie end up together, and some of the exchange students even stick to their side. So over all I really enjoyed reading this book, nothing like the stereo type vampire novel!

Sincerely,

lisa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!