October 18, 2015

Why I Didn't Finish Reading: Bliss.

Hi guys! And welcome to another, Why I Didn't Finish!

This will be the second segment to this type of post, here at Turning Pages Co, and I've started to really enjoy doing them!

Why I Didn't Finish, is basically just that. In these posts I explain why I didn't finish a book, what made me pick it up in the first place, and ultimately what made me stop reading it. I don't review books that I didn't completely read, but I also don't want to force myself into finishing books I'm not enjoying, so this type of post is a happy medium.

Because this isn't a review, this post isn't going on Goodreads, nor am I rating the book. I feel like I can't fairly judge a book if I didn't finish the entire thing, If I stop half way through, and judge the book based purely on the first half, it's not fair, because I have no idea what possibly happened in the last half.


Bliss: A Novel

The book I didn't finish this week is Bliss, by Shay Mitchell and Michaela Blaney. I was actually sent this book for review, and started reading it almost a week ago.

Why Did I Pick It Up?

To be honest, I don't know if this book was just sent to me, or if I was asked to review it. I honestly can't remember, and can't find the email anymore. But let's just say that I was asked, and that I accepted the offer, I know exactly why I would have.

Bliss revolves around three teenage girls who are best friends, but have gone through a few issues, and two aren't even talking anymore. All three of these girls want to become famous, and live in LA.

I would have picked this book up based simply on those two sentences. Bliss reminds me of Keeping Up With The Kardashians, The Hills, and even Pretty Little Liars. I love books that revolve around drama, friendships and relationships.

What Happened?

I tried reading Bliss for an entire week. I picked it up multiple times, and just couldn't get myself to stick with it. I spent too much time reading Bliss, and it was putting me into a reading slump. I just wouldn't reach for it, and even avoided blogging, because I hadn't finished it. After spending this much time, I just decided that it wasn't meant for me, and so I put it down after only reaching page 68.

Why Didn't I Enjoy It?

Ultimately is was shallow. It claims to be "Set in the exotic, intoxicating worlds of Hollywood, Thailand, and London, Bliss paints a relatable portrait of life in your early twenties with equal parts optimism and fear, hope and disappointment, expectation and reality". It is nowhere near relatable. Most twenty year olds don't have parents who are buying them trips, and being ungrateful for it. Most 20 year olds aren't messing around just to find mega rich good looking guys to play with.

Bliss is probably the farthest thing from "relatable". Most 20 year olds are working, going to school, and struggling to make a life for themselves. Not traveling to exotic places, or sleeping with rich older men. It isn't relatable, unless you're already rich, have the money to do these kinds of things, and just want to become famous and even more rich.

Maybe I'm just too old (I'm 20) for this book, even though I'm right around the same age as these characters. Bliss is characterized as New Adult, which is surprising because it felt much more like Young Adult.

The characters didn't have any depth, and just wanted to become rich and famous. Demi is completely lost and has no idea what she wants from life. Sophia is working as a bartender (I'm not even sure if she is old enough to be one). And lastly, Leandra is spoiled and ungrateful. I completely understand, I'm 20 years old, and don't exactly know what I want to do for the rest of my life, but I do know who I am, what I believe in, and what my goals are.

Overall, the "relatability" aspect, and the characters is what kept me from continuing this book. It was putting me into a slump, that I can't afford right now, because I have three other books that need reviewing.

Have you read Bliss? Did you enjoy it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!