February 16, 2013

Book Review: Pushing The Limits

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)Title: Pushing The Limits.
Author: Katie McGarry.
Format: Hardback.
Pages: 403.
Series: Yes, #1.
Source: Harlequin Teen Panel.
Publisher: Harlequin Teen.
Published Date: July 31, 2012.
Links:
Goodreads.
Barnes and Noble.

Summary:

"No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible. Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again."

First and Last Line:

"'My father is a control freak, I hate my stepmother, my brother is dead and my mother has...well...issues. How do you think I'm doing?'"
"I kissed her lips one more time and plucked the keys from her hand. 'Yes, and I'm driving.'"

Cover:

The cover of Pushing The Limits, is one of those where I would never take it to school, due to not wanting to explain over and over again what the title, and the cover picture are all about, and that this book isn't just about "adult activities". But at home, I would fan girl over it, liking the way the title is designed, and that when taking off the jacket, the actual hard cover, has a picture too, and isn't plain. If I gave cover ratings, I would give this 28 stars out 5; out of this world!

My Thoughts:

Pushing The Limits switches alternates points of view in every chapter, from Noah to Echo, and back to Noah. While Echo is dealing with the loss of her brother, who was killed during a deployment, the scars from her mother, the remarriage of her father, and the pregnancy of her stepmother, Noah is dealing with the loss of both his parents, the struggle to get his life back on track, and the fight to have his younger brother's back.

Both attending counselling sessions to get help with all the things going on, the two start seeing a lot of each other, especially when Echo is assigned to become Noah's Calculus tutor. Despising one another at first, and avoiding the other whenever possible, the two begin to realize the only person they have, and that understands them, is the other. Finally teaming up to get the information they both desperately need, the foster parents of Noah's little brothers' information, and the history of Echo and what really happened that night when she received those scars, they both start to feel a strong connect and care for each other.

Pushing The Limits is a book filled with hurt, angry, but also happiness and love. Echo and Noah learn to come to terms with the everything happening in their lives, and instead of trying to fight everyone, they realize what's really the best for them, even if it wasn't what they thought at first. I really enjoyed Pushing The Limits, and the writing style of Katie McGarry. This is the first book that I've read of hers, but I can't wait to read the stories of Noah's two best friends in Dare You To, and Crash Into You!

2 comments:

  1. I loved this story. I can't wait to read the rest of the books in the series. I'm glad that you liked it too.
    Kristin @ Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have this on my tbr. Can't wait to read it. Great review.

    Cool blog. Wanna visit mine?

    Find me at http://themoonlitbookshelf.blogspot.de/

    Andreea

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!