September 05, 2011

Book Review #47: Rules of Attraction

Title: Rules of Attraction.
Author: Simone Elkeles.
Format: Hardback.
Pages: 366.
Series: Yes #2.
Source: Barnes and Noble.
Publisher: Walker & Company.
Published Date: April 13, 2010.

Summary:

"When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for the past year, he doesn't want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him in Colorado. When he meets Kiara Westford, a good girl totally unlike any of the girls he's usually drawn to, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she's too good for him. But will he put his pride aside when he realizes that being with Kiara might finally allow him to be his true self?"

Cover:

I have to admit the cover of Perfect Chemistry was....awkward, to say the least. I don't know if I would want to be seen out reading it. The way Alex is just laying over Brittany is just weird, maybe it's just too lovey dovey for me!

But thank goodness this cover is sooo much better! It's cute! I mean who wouldn't want to be kissed in the rain? And their in cars, reaching out, just to kiss each other!? AWWW!

Characters-

If you have read a few of my reviews before, than you know I usually have a favorite and least favorite character in every book (or at least something that someone did, that bothered me). But this time my favorite character is also my least favorite...is that even possible? I don't even know!

But it's Carlos! He was just hilarious at times, but at other times, I just wanted to grab him by the shoulders, shake him, and tell him to open his eyes to see whats right in front of him!

Maybe, halfway through Rules of Attraction I just wanted him to get off his high horse and get over his pride. If you like her who cares what someone might think? If you are willing to do anything for her (like Alex would for Brittany) then do it!

Story Line:

After Alex went off to college with Brittany, Carlos, Louis and their mom moved back to Mexico. Hearing that Carlos joined a gang, he forced him to come back from Mexico and move in with him; so he wouldn't be around that and would focus more on school.

Both Alex and Carlos, soon find out that Alex's student apartment (or dorm, same thing) was too small for the both of them, one of Alex's old professors invites Carlos to live with them. Feeling like a fish out of water, Carlos' feelings for Kiara (the professor's daughter) wasn't making things much easier.

I had such a great time reading Rules of Attraction, and I can't wait to read Chain Reactions, even though I don't want the series to end! I love Simone Elkeles' writing style, and how she includes real Spanish! If you haven't checked out this series, than you REALLY need to!


2 comments:

  1. I love this series! It's so awesome. :) I think my copy of Perfect Chemistry has a less embarrassing cover than the new one so I didn't have that problem, lol. Do love this cover though and even better it's a scene from the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually liked Carlos. He was funny. Alex is more serious and careful. Carlos doesn't think much about the consequences. I like when Brit was around and Carlos coundn't stand her.
    -
    But isn't weird that you let your brother move in with your professor? I mean, think about it. That's...weird. I mean, it had to be done; Carlos had to move out but you know what I mean?




    - Mary [Anxirium]

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!