June 09, 2013

Book Review: Fragments

Fragments (Partials, #2)Title: Fragments.
Author: Dan Wells.
Format: Hardback.
Pages: 564.
Series: Yes, #2.
Source: Library.
Publisher: Blazer + Bray.
Published Date: 2/26/13
Summary:

"Kira Walker has found the cure for RM, but the battle for the survival of humans and Partials is just beginning. Kira has left East Meadow in a desperate search for clues to who she is. That the Partials themselves hold the cure for RM in their blood cannot be a coincidence—it must be part of a larger plan, a plan that involves Kira, a plan that could save both races. Her companions are Afa Demoux, an unhinged drifter and former employee of ParaGen, and Samm and Heron, the Partials who betrayed her and saved her life, the only ones who know her secret. But can she trust them? Meanwhile, back on Long Island, what's left of humanity is gearing up for war with the Partials, and Marcus knows his only hope is to delay them until Kira returns. But Kira's journey will take her deep into the overgrown wasteland of postapocalyptic America, and Kira and Marcus both will discover that their greatest enemy may be one they didn't even know existed."

Links:
Goodreads.
Barnes and Noble.

Cover:

I loved the cover on Partials, but I am a bit bummed that the cover of Fragments looks almost the same. I wish the same picture of the girl from the first cover wasn't just copied and pasted into this cover.

My Thoughts:

I absolutely loved Partials and couldn't wait to get started on Fragments; I already had Fragments cracked open before I could completely close Partials. What got me hooked on the story and made me crave the second book, was the world Dan Wells built, and the characters who are living in it. With 99% of the world's population wiped out due to war, and not being able to reproduce, due to the RM virus, the numbers are continuing to dwindle.

Partials leaves off when Kira has successfully found a cure to the pregnancy epidemic and saved the young life of her best friend's daughter. Leaving behind a small amount of cure for Marcus to test, Kira leaves to go to the big city and find out who she is and why she was created. On her search she funs into a man named Afa, who thinks he's the only human left; he's a bit crazy, but also really smart, I like him!

With Afa's knowledge on the ParaGen, and computers, Kira, Samm and Heron can find out what's really going on. But those computers are located in ParaGen headquarters, which are in Denver. But to try their luck, they stop at a closer headquarter in Chicago! (Lots of traveling)

In the first book the reader was introduced to a lot of the main characters, such as Kira, Marcus, Samm, and a few of their friends. In Fragments we are introduced to a few smaller characters such as Heron, Samm's partner and the evil Dr. Morgan. If you read my review on Partials, you should already know, I really like a lot of the characters. In Fragments I feel the same way. Heron is more relaxed, makes jokes, and keeps things a bit funny. Dr. Morgan is evil, but a good...villian? Fragments had amazing character development which kept me interested in characters we already knew from the first book.

I usually like to add a bit of a summary and my thoughts of the ending, but I want to give NOTHING away! I can't believe the way Fragments left readers off, and I'm dying to see what happens next!

Overall Fragments was fantastic! The characters were awesome, the world Dan Wells created is interesting and scary at the same time, because I feel like that could really happen! While the beginning of the book pulled me in, the ending caused my head to explode, the middle was a bit of a drag. I feel that it could have been shortened a bit when the characters were doing a lot of traveling. But I promise you that the ending will make up for the slow parts before it!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely blog! Please follow mine; it's new: readandlovebooks.blogspot.com
    Thanks♥

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you guys have to say, so don't be shy and leave a comment!